159 Herzel st. Tel-Aviv
Tel: *4553, (+972)-3-5136500
line
 
He | Ru |
   
 

help us en

 
Last updates
 
Lovesick Alex
 

Lovesick Alex  
Following a long rehabilitation process, Alex is lo ...   

 
Come and choose on Election Day
 

Come and choose on Election ...  
The Society will be open on Election Day between the ...   

 
A Warm Winter for the Animals
 

A Warm Winter for the Animal ...  
Anita is doing the laundry and making a request: Con ...   

 
A Safe Place
 

A Safe Place  
An abandoned horse, suffering from neglect, was resc ...   

 
Festival of Light
 

Festival of Light  
Hanukah in the Society – Summary of the Education De ...   

 

Veterinary Clinic

About the Slaughter
 

About the Slaughter  
Public appeal following the Kolbotek inquiry regardi ...   

 
Remembering Hilda
 

Remembering Hilda  
The thirtieth day following the passing of the ex-ch ...   

 
Miaou at the Door
 

Miaou at the Door  
A perky and colorful door sticker will give your fro ...   

 
Little Oren
 

Little Oren  
A tiny kitten was rescued from the tree top by the P ...   

 
In the Shadow of the Sirens
 

In the Shadow of the Sirens  
Tips for looking after your pet during the sirens   

 
Thunder on a Cold Winter's Night
 

Thunder on a Cold Winter's N ...  
How to diminish the anxiety level of dogs who are af ...   

 


line

 
Tags
 
Fish hook Cats Fishing       


line

Adopt guide



 
  News 
 

Curiosity Almost Killed the Cat

A cat that swallowed a fish hook was saved following surgery that was performed in the SPCA clinic

  | date: 19/12/2010   

   
Curiosity Almost Killed the Cat
Photographed by Heli Kalai

The curiosity of a four-and-a-half-year-old mixed Persian cat almost led to its death. The cat, the pet of a Tel-Aviv family, was extremely interested in the fishing equipment of one of the family members and began to play around with the various pieces. The family members believed that their cat had swallowed a fishing line and after several days of the cat suffering from vomiting and fever, they rushed the cat into the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Israel – Tel Aviv veterinary clinic.
An X-ray performed at the clinic revealed that the cat had also swallowed a sharp fishing hook, which was surgically removed by veterinarian Dr.
Lana Algrabelli. "There was fear for the cat's life" Dr. Algrabelli said. "The greatest danger was intestinal obstruction as well as Gastric dilatation and volvulus syndrome, all of which cause severe pain, infection and lead to a rapid death.
The surgery ended successfully with the removal of the nylon fishing line and hook. The cat remained hospitalized in the clinic for several days, during which it received a special intravenous solution to avoid using the digestive system. The cat was released two days ago and according to its owners, it has made a quick recovery.

 
The fishing gear, they promised, would be kept in a closed place.
Unfortunately, we encounter numerous incidents in which pet owners do not think about items that might endanger their pets in the home. Items that might appear trivial to us might endanger the life of a pet. Attention must therefore be paid to the pets' living environment to make sure that it is safe for them. Just as we make sure that our home is safe for infants and small children, we must also remove items such as cleaning fluids and toxic materials, spicy foods, sharp objects, toxic plants, various threads (nylon, ribbons, electrical wires) and cans with sharp lids in the trash can. In addition, people must make sure that there is no open flame and avoid operating a gas oven or stove that is being operated without being present. Pet owners must also make sure to shut cabinet doors and open electrical appliances (such as washing machine) in which cats might become trapped.






 
 
All rights reserved © 2009